My Anglophilia is acting up again.
I blame Eliza. Yes, Eliza Doolittle and her little friend, Enry Iggins.
At a tender age, they sucked me into their English world, entranced me with their accents, both proper and improper, charmed me with their culture and as a result, I transformed into a full-blown Anglophile at the age of five.
Lest you shudder at this supposed malady and keep your distance, I assure you Anglophilia is a good thing.
A very, very good thing.
Here, I’ll even save you a rendezvous with the dictionary and define my “situation”.
Anglophile:A person who is fond of English culture and England in general.
I would submit that ‘fond’ is an excessive understatement and unabashedly admit my monstrous addiction to all things English.
Pondering the upcoming one-year anniversary of my trip to the Motherland has caused my Anglophilia to flare up and while I’m immensely proud to be an American, I just can’t get over things like this
(Speaking of good manners—how helpful can they be?)
or places like this or phrases like this
and stories by writers like these.
So don’t worry about catching Anglophilia from me because I’m not giving any of it away.
I will continue to think in an English accent, watch American Idol just to hear Simon speak, save my pennies to convert into Pounds for my London flat, write novels with English main characters and attempt to eat with my left hand, like my lovely mates in England do.
I mean, what’s the worst that could happen? Banishment to the Motherland?
Cheers!
P.S. For the record, I used Gloucester font in the making of this post. :)




















5 comments:
Oh Emily you make me laugh. Thank you for the definition, for a minute there I was feeling pretty stupid. I love your obsession with England it's a healthy one. I miss your creative brain we need to talk more.
I may not be as much a Anglophile as you are, but my devotion to the motherland is in check. Last night I watched a program on PBS called "The Royal Family at Work." I am fascinated by the British and this show only made it increase. But mostly, I have been meaning to tell you how much I LOVE the book I borrowed from you--The Guernsey Literary Society... Talk about making you fall in love with England?! I am fully in love now and I am only half way through the book. Wonderful. Just thought you would like to know!
Dear Anglophile,
Whilst I have not yet had the pleasure of acquainting myself to the Motherland in person, I can assure you the day will come. (dramatic sigh) I just hope I can fair well until then and that my experience will be as highly favorable as your own.
Sincerely,
Bonney wee Anne
Ode to my true home... Across the sea... Where the flowers bloom larger, the sky seams a deeper shade of blue (partly due to the obssesive rain showers), where on the tops of the flats you truly can see a man with a broom singing chim chimeny, and where I can say- from experience- that the grass is difinitely greener... I will make my way back to you. Someday, Somehow... It has been some time since I have left- DON'T FORGET ABOUT ME WHILST I DREAM ABOUT YOU!
Oh, I know all about Anglophilia. I don't think I have it as bad as you do, but I definitely have it. Every time we have a spare dollar, in my mind it goes into a bank account labeled, "England." Turns out we don't have too many of those spare dollars, so they end up going to silly things like, "Gas bill," and "cell phone," and "groceries," but some day it will happen.
Post a Comment