img { border: 15px solid #000; background: #000; filter:alpha(opacity=60); opacity:0.6; padding: 1px; }

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Vexatious Language Down and Out: Deported to Overcrowded Land of Forbidden Words

I call your attention to the 2008 Banished Words on my What's What list, compiled by Lake Superior State University. (Who are THEY? I am at a loss, truly, but their Banished Words List is BRILLIANT!)

It has inspired me to free my pent up aggravation toward a few words that float about and spew forth, unattractive and harsh to the ear. It's just something about the way they sound...or their frequency of use. FOR THE LOVE OF GOOD LANGUAGE! It's personal and I hope no one is offended if you love some of my most hated words.

Thus, my very own List is born. Although, for the sake of creativity and copyright infringement, I will entitle mine the Vexatious Language Bounced List, or just Bounced for short. It is my sincere wish that the words which appear on said List would book their fare on the next train outta town and never come back.

On the other hand, there are words that are not used NEARLY enough. This list I will call...hmmmm...how about Downright Delicious Diction, or simply Delicious.

You might find my preoccupation a little disturbing, but you see, this obsession began many years ago. My college roommates and I had a very large collection of our "Good Words", scrawled in various positions upon a 5 foot section of butcher paper. We papered our apartment walls with it and added new, great-sounding words almost daily. We practically formed our own language.

So....having explained that and without further ado, I introduce my very first edition of Bounced and Delicious Lists, respectively.

Sayonara, ciao, adios: psycho, freakin', the bomb, panties, and cocoa--for now

A warm embrace, curtsy, shake of the hand: Apocrypha, unwieldy, helter-skelter, dishy, retort, sizzle, hoity-toity

4 comments:

Heather said...

I'm confused by cocoa, but I agree with the rest. I did read the banished word list the other day, and I also wondered who those people were.
Anyway, tell Chris that he can use hoity-toity when referring to Bayhillers. And then, I'll retort with something witty and a polite curtsy. I'll leave the warm embracing to you and him.

Anonymous said...

Can I add a word that make me cringe when I hear it.

Moist(need I say more)

And yes, I fall victim to using and over-using the word freakin'. It is a small fault of mine- I hope we can still be friends!

NutMeg said...

Were we separated at birth, or what? I too have affinity's towards words or against them.

On my top list of hate words: moist, goober, poop, nugget.

Love: curious, scrumptious, and felicity (to name a few).

NutMeg said...

OK that was really weird that someone else put moist?! I cringe every time in sacrament meeting someone gives a prayer and says: "Thank you for the moisture we've received." Ugh! It's not a cake people. It's rain, snow, sleet, hail, precipitation even...but not moisture!!!!!!!!!!!