img { border: 15px solid #000; background: #000; filter:alpha(opacity=60); opacity:0.6; padding: 1px; }

Friday, March 7, 2008

MUNCHA MUNCHA

Eating is necessary, right?

It can be enjoyable...it can be disgusting...it can be utilitarian.
When you're pregnant, eating can become...interesting. It's a love-hate duo one day, a ravenous need the next. A moment later every smell and thought associated with food leads to a gag reflex.

Peculiar, this pregnancy eating ritual.

Even more peculiar are the things I craved during my first trimester. Let me share just a sampling.


With Bennett, my cravings remained constant and few. For example:
Buffalo wings or just the sauce, smothered on anything
Jalapenos
Banana peppers
Tacos

With (unknown gender and therefore no name), I crave the following--sometimes simultaneously, sometimes at odd hours of the day and night. This kid is haphazard and indecisive, at best. Take a look.


Tacos are the only consistent craving. Blessed little things. I could make them for dinner every single night. Christopher does not share my taco enthuiasm, however. Therefore, I may be forced to make a "Run to the Border", if you know what I mean.

I know. I'm not supposed to eat deli meats. Nevertheless, at the beginning, I could have made myself a permanent hangout at any local Subway. However, I limited myself to one a week. Thank you, Kelly Conroy, for making sure Subway stays on the map.


You see the size of this bottle? There is one in my refrigerator, purhcased 2 weeks ago...2/3 empty. All because of me. (My pineapple stash is doing fine, though, just in case you were wondering!)

Ice, delicious, glorious ice. No calories, no offensive texture or odor. Just a tall glass of ice water (set on the counter for approximately 10 minutes to let the ice get nice and soft) and consequently, a crunching session. Sorry, Mr. Dentist. (And Jo, everytime I chomp my delicious, heavenly ice I think of you and your statistics...thanks.)

Mmmmm.....

Peanut butter isn't necessarily a new craving for me. It's been a lifelong friend. But now...NOW we are BFFs.

And finally, possibly the best part of summer is the fruit. More specifically, nectarines. Fruit of the Gods. (The Fruit of the Tree of Life, if you ask me. :)



And the last thing is not so much a craving as a downright great find. If Easter=jellybeans, it now = Nerds Bumpy Jellybeans. Yum!

Oh man. A whole post on cravings? Someone please call my normal body and my somewhat rational mind and tell them I need them back here double time.
What?
They're on Leave of Absence 'til September?
*Sigh.*

4 comments:

JJ said...

I find your blog so entertaining.

What in the world are Nerds Bumpy Jellybeans? I don't think I've seen those yet. Of course, I should probably stay away. I love candy and that isn't helpful when you are trying to lose weight.

For me it was Deli pickles (they had to be the kind delis use) and mashed potatoes from KFC (they had to be from KFC). Interesting how that works, huh?!

Heather said...

Good to know if I need some jellybeans I can call you. I don't particularly like them, but with a nerdy outside they might be quite good.
Tacos? I guess you're not feeling that sick. I couldn't eat anything but plain bread and crackers for my first trimesters. The second was a different story.

Heather said...

and I'm trying not to take offense to your liking Subway over the Hogi Yogi. If you'd rather see food on the Conroys' table than not offend me, go ahead.

Miss Megan said...

Pregnancy food truly is a love-hate relationship! Some of my food staples while pregnant: crab, crab and more crab. I think I ate about 30 Subway seafood delight sandwiches with Peter. It didn't matter if it was real or imitation, just give me the crab and no one gets hurt!

I also indulged in a lot of tuna fish (which isn't rare for me either), but I know all about mercury etc. Didn't matter...I still ate it anyways. Also: Burger Kings breakfast croissant sandwich. Have mercy! I ate waaaay too many of those.

As for tacos...I ate those constantly. Luckily for me, tacos are a huge thing for my family, so I make a pretty mean homemade taco. Maybe you should come over some night, and I'll whip up as many as you like. Yes, they are MUCH better than Taco Hell.