img { border: 15px solid #000; background: #000; filter:alpha(opacity=60); opacity:0.6; padding: 1px; }

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

twenty-nine

twenty NINE

TWENTY- nine

000002900000

20-9

Nine and Twenty


Behold, the magical age to which I recently ascended.


“29”



Go ahead. Ponder upon its meaning, its greatness. Wonder out loud why 29 is spoken of with such reverence.


And then answer the following question:

What IS it that makes 29 so darn magical?

It’s a number first and foremost...obviously.

It could also be a distance, a measurement of time, a temperature, the number of steps to your mailbox, a clothing size, the number of times I listened to "Mom" in one hour today, the number of mismatched socks in a drawer, the date one first discovered his/her love affair with stamp collecting....it could be ANYTHING, really.

Well, no matter WHAT it stands for, there is something quite special about it because people lie all the time, calming they’re 29 when it’s painfully obvious they fondly kissed their twenties goodbye a decade or so ago.

I, for one, am grateful for my twenties but will be equally grateful for my looming thirties.

I have my reasons.

And what are those reasons?

Well...................

I was what you might call a late bloomer.

Don’t believe me? Go ahead and look closely at this picture.


Yes, that is really me at age 15.
(I'll wait while you stop laughing and wipe the tears from your eyes..................)


The crazy thing is, I looked like this and
PEOPLE STILL TALKED TO ME! (Small Gasp!)

I STILL HAD FRIENDS! (Little bit larger Gasp!)

I WAS NOT BANISHED TO A REMOTE TOWER! (Slight fainting sensation...)

I WAS NOT VIOLENTLY CAST INTO A MOLDY DUNGEON SOMEWHERE TO AWAIT A MIRACULOUS TRANSFORMATION!
(Largest of the Gasps! and the distinct feeling of hyperventilation...)


Ahem....back to the quest for 29's magic powers...


After studying this picture for a fraction of a nanosecond,

I know the power that 29 holds. I know the #1 reason it's so magical.


For me, the magic lies in knowing I have distanced myself fourteen years from my fifteen year old "state of being" and all that included. But mostly the way I looked in that awful picture.

And when I turn 30, it will be FIFTEEN years' distance. Talk about your magic.

In the meantime, I will watch with aging eyes the marvelous varieties of good things that happen to all in their 29th year.


Welcome, welcome, 29!

13 comments:

Madsens said...

Just want you to know I always think about you on your birthday, since you so nicely share it with Amaya. Can you believe she turned 4? I hope you had a great birthday. Enjoy the last year of your twenties!

JJ said...

When was this lovely day? I, too, aged one more year this month. However, I am a few years past that lovely age of 29. Enjoy it! Your 30s will be even better.

Anonymous said...

Oh how I love that 15 year old picture and what it represents in all of our lives... Like greatfulness for the fact that it isn't a full body shot to reveal a pair of mom jeans with a brown braided belt that is looped at the end, and a (too big) pair of brown leather doc martens with white socks.

Oh happy day!

Daniel, Stephanie, & Chloe said...

I don't have any clue what you are talking about with your picture! You were (and still are...) one HOT MAMA! Why would you ever want to get further and further from that age of 15. To tell you the truth...those were your best years! Why try to leave them? :)

Daniel, Stephanie, & Chloe said...

I don't have any clue what you are talking about with your picture! You were (and still are...) one HOT MAMA! Why would you ever want to get further and further from that age of 15. To tell you the truth...those were your best years! Why try to leave them? :)

Miss Megan said...

My mother-in-law has been 29 for years! I'm serious. She really goes around telling people she is 29. Even the grandkids know not to question her. I think she's in some sort of cryogenic holding pattern.

Anyways, happy birthday!

And I knew you when you were like 16 or 17 and I really don't remember you looking like that?! Of course I have blocked out ALL of jr. high, as well as large portions of high school, so what the hell do I know?!

Watsdog said...

Ah, 29...Congrats! Happy birthday, Emily. I hope it was great! I miss 29. Enjoy it!

Kimberly said...

Happy Happy Birthday Emily! Still haven't said it to you in person, but I will keep leaving little messages for you!:) And I must say...you are aging gracefully! Happy Birthday!

Carla said...

At 29 you look great, haven't aged changed a bit since 15 :) Happy birthday.

Anonymous said...

Oh, my gosh! I am still laughing over your picture at 15. That is funny. Mine looks about the same but without the glasses. Hope you had a fun day. I love your office quotes of the week.

Anonymous said...

Now when is this "Blooming" you so fondly refer to supposed to happen exactly? 15 More years, is that what you REALLY Meant!? Now as for Chris, always looking good my man!

Heather said...

You were beautiful then; you're beautiful now. I do have a little somethin' somethin' for you--I really should bring that over.
You should think about getting another perm. You're always on the brink of the latest trends!

Ashley said...

Happy Birthday Emily!!! I hope you had a good time!! I love the late bloomer picture!!