img { border: 15px solid #000; background: #000; filter:alpha(opacity=60); opacity:0.6; padding: 1px; }

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Get on with Your Bad Self: Prime of Life, Descended

On the morning of October 22nd, a foreseen visitor knocked on my front door. I swung it open widely, making room for the visitor and her bounteous and precious goods.

“Well, hello, Thirties. Come right in,” I greeted her with an anticipatory smile.

Offering my hand, we firmly shook (shake, shake) and Thirties curtsied.

We turned at the sound of someone trotting down the stairs and beheld Twenties balancing bulging suitcases and swelling parcels lovingly tied and wrapped with Time and Memories.

Twenties smiled and took a deep breath as she stepped out the door, satisfied with her decade-long stay. “Buh-bye!” she called out over her shoulder before striding down the road.

Thirties and I stood on the porch and waved until Twenties turned the corner with some of my most memorable times in tow.

As we walked inside together, Thirties optimistically reminded me that she is the Prime of Life. With that, we headed upstairs to the heap of belongings Thirties brought for her own ten year visit.

She’s all unpacked and settled in now. Her luggage was surprisingly heavy for having just arrived for her newest assignment, but as I helped her unload and get cozy, I understood that she had presented me with the mother lode…mere hours into her stay.

Thirties is welcome anytime.

She brought:

3 fantastic boys

december 1 1520december 1 1521december 1 1530december 1 1522

december 1 1531

A Cooking-Free Night!

(Brought to us by Blue Lemon and their rather fabulous salads…)

december 1 1523

Good—nay, LEGENDARY and MARVELOUS—friends who provided a Birthday Bash—girls only. (Happy Birthday to YOU, Jerianne!)

december 1 1568december 1 1565

Thirties Initiation Rituals provided by a small, but dangerous band of some of the aforementioned good—nay, LEGENDARY and MARVELOUS,friends (and some who wish to be foes, judging from that giant Clifford on my birthday sign…Shea….Kelly… It’s GUILTY BY ASSOCIATION, Kelly, though your artistic abilities redeem you. Shea…you’re simply a goner.)

**If any are wondering why Clifford is on this handmade-with-love sign, please refer to the children's book series, Clifford the Big Red Dog.**

december 1 1543

Small, but gentle, reminders that Thirties is visiting for awhiledecember 1 1518december 1 1519

Culinary Masterpieces presented by none other than…My Husband, Christopher the Great

(Featuring a breakfast of his world-renowned banana pancakes and this very youthful and celebratory birthday cake.)december 1 1593december 1 1594

A Cousin Chloe Sleepover because….

december 1 1517

Baby Cousin Caid showed up on the very best day of the year.

You’ve got a genius on your hands, Stephanie and Danny. This boy is SMART to choose such a day. Happy Birthday to me…and Caid!!Picture_10_25_09_00009

Presents, Presents, Presents:

Custom Accessories (Shannon Williams Up-and-Coming High-End Too Posh for You Designs)

,december 1 1642 Swanky Apparel (Thanks, Keith and Rachel)

december 1 1640Money that purchased Books, Art….and there will be shoes. Oh, there will be SHOES!

(Thanks, Grandma, Grandpa, Mom and Dad!)

Phone Calls from Family and Friends

Heartfelt Notes from Friends and Family

that will go STRAIGHT into my keepsakes

IMOGEN TICKETS!!

(She’s coming….to Salt Lake!!)imheap

and…

A CUSTOM-DESIGNED AND BUILT WRITING AREA

(and I mean AREA)

just for moi,

built by my Very Capable Personal Carpenter!!

(Pics forthcoming)

Who SAID getting older is harsh? So far, so good! :)

Welcome, Thirties, Welcome!

2 comments:

JJ said...

I'm still reliving all the fun. Wasn't it cool!? We really do celebrate our birthdays during the most awesome part of the year. Yet again, Happy Birthday!

I love the way you wrote about welcoming your 30s and saying goodbye to your 20s. I am very excited to read your book!

Heather said...

This is probably the most creative, fun post I've ever read. Ever.
Happy birthday to one of my favorite people!