img { border: 15px solid #000; background: #000; filter:alpha(opacity=60); opacity:0.6; padding: 1px; }

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Fixin' to Take a Pilgrimmage to the Homeland


Ahhhh....The Land of Enchantment....New Mexico. My homeland, my birth place, the land of my forefathers, the epicenter of my childhood and early teenage years. The land wherein I acquired a taste for truly delicious New Mexican food along with my nice, dark glow....oh. Whoops. I guess that's one thing I didn't get from New Mexico. I suppose it also failed to give me a Mexican accent, the ability to speak Navajo and a penchant for the wearing of cowboy boots and turquoise jewelry, although every now and then, I admit....

At one time in my life, I did have a Southern drawl. I used "ya'll" and had a slight twang of which I was ignorant until I moved to Utah at the age of 14. It slowly faded out, but, to this day, I still use the word "fixin'". Some things are regionally ingrained into your genes. (Fixin' will now appear on my Delicious words list, FYI.)

Lest I wax more nostalgic than is bearable, I will begin with a photographic report of my Southwesterly sojourn last Thursday.

Bennett and I rode with my parents to my uncle's wedding in Roswell and Chrisotpher was left a lone man. It would have been even better if he could have come, but alas, someone has to make the money. :)


The long stretch of very, very straight road. 12 hours there, 12 hours back.

Welcome to Roswell!




JUST KIDDING! I bet this is what you thought New Mexican towns looked like, didn't you? No way, man. Roswell is MUCH classier than that.


For example (por ejemplo):

McDonald's--it makes those of us that are "foreigners" feel more at home. (It's in the shape of a UFO, in case it's hard to tell.)



The downtown lampposts--looks exactly like one of my best friends.

Good thing I'm welcome at Arby's. I'm starving!


Really this trip was to introduce Bennett to "his people". :) He seemed to take to it naturally.



Compare: 70 degree weather, New Mexico


Contrast: 20 degree weather, Utah

6 comments:

Heather said...

24 hours in the car! You're a good woman--or you are a little crazy. I might be to the point that I would do that for some 70 degree weather. Today is so nice though!
That McDonald's makes me almost want to eat there...if it were the last place to eat on Earth, or Mars, or the whole of outer space.

Autumn and Doug Smith said...

That is so fun! I am envious of the 70 degree weather, but not of the 24 hour drive.

Anonymous said...

Bennett,
Just when I thought you couldn't get any cuter, you go and wear those hotty-totty sunglasses! All I can say is wowwy-wowwy-wow!

Love,
London

JJ said...

You are a brave woman - that is a long time in a car with a child. I must say I have never had the "pleasure" of visiting Roswell but I watched enough X-Files to make me an expert.

I'm glad you got to go home if only for a brief moment. It looks like you had fun.

Lewis News said...

We visited NM for the first time in December. I thought Albqurque was nice. We missed out on the nice weather and were there during a "most unusual snow storm", all of a dusting of snow that seemed to have everyone in the town uptight!

The Webbs said...

Warm weather, I'm so jealous! I want to see some green grass and maybe roll around in it :)